[VAC] Restoration Update

After a beautiful & productive weekend I feel it's time for a quick
update on the '65 Caravel restoration progress.

Work continues on the exterior.  I dropped all the belly skins,
sandblasted & spray-painted the frame black, replaced the tired old
insulation with 2" Styrofoam board - and did a good visual inspection.

This was supposed to be an easy restoration of a sound original trailer,
but there across the whole back sub-floor was dry rot (wet rot due to
the recent rains).  Seems Wally's engineers couldn't figure out what to
do with the frame where it exits at the rear and forms the bumper.
These 60's trailers have the sewer hose compartment top skin lay on top
of the frame, and then extend back underneath the wood floor. All the
rain that comes down the back of the trailer skin shoots right into the
wood floor!  On the sides and front it sheds off the outer skin to the
ground, as the belly skins are lapped underneath.

I hogged out all the bad wood from below and attached a steel doubler
plate to the bottom over the damaged area.  I then mixed and poured
epoxy wood filler from above (under the lav sink) and leveled it off,
working it out to the edges under the shell.  After it cured, you can
hardly tell where the wood stops and the epoxy begins.

To correct the leak, I put a gray bulb seal in the crevice below the
rear skin and the top of the sewage hose compartment and then sealed it
place with vulkem.  I also sealed the top of the lower belt line trim
strip so that water running down the back of the trailer doesn’t go
behind it.  Goes to show that water damage and leaks can from many sources.

I then reattached all the belly skins using the same fastener holes,
oversizing when necessary.  For damaged skin lap holes I found a great
3/8" pop-rivet from Arrow (Home Depot) that has a wide 5/8" head and a
steel mandrel - these babies lock in place!

My best work to date is all covered up, but it is great knowing the
trailers foundation is clean and secure – ready for another 35 years.

Next weekend it’s the gas appliances…

RJ (& Krista, who’s working on the new cushions)
’65 Caravel