Re: [VAC] Interior painting (was Tambour doors)

Gary,
When I examined all the different surfaces I would be painting, it was
clear they were a mix of different types of materials. There were many
panels which were clearly a type of plastic, and other which were veneered,
but not all the veneers were the same. The brand I used was called Folia
Tec, made in Germany, but there are other systems which I believe work
equally well. The system uses a cleaner, primer coat, colour coat and
topcoat. Sounds like a lot of work, but coverage is very good, and only
about 5 mins drying time between coats, especially when used on the correct
typle of plastic, when the paint combines with the plastic to permanently
bond and becomes part of the plastic. On the other surfaces, bonding is not
quite as good, but a light sanding helps . On the tambour doors, I find
spray paint is excellent, because the coats are so fine, there is no danger
of clogging. I sprayed the surface of the tambour only, the paint did not
penetrate the gaps between the slats, but in fact this looks fine as the
gaps are a different colour to the surface anyway (try it, you'll see what
I mean).
Any good car accessory place should carry a paint system like it, if not,
try Frost (they have a website, and are a US firm).
I will be posting pics in the future, as soon as I have my new ISP and web
site sorted out.
Good luck,
Marie over the sea