Re: [VAC] Awnings

Hi Fred,

For what its worth, I have said this before, and I'll say it again.  I
have seen Bambi awnings with poles and ropes and stakes. They are NOT
pretty.  The total area for shade is about 6 feet, by 6 feet, and not
much more effective than a big beach umbrella.  The real downside, is
the flimsy way it stands and how cumbersome they are to erect and take
down.  If there is even a slight breeze, it requires two men and a boy
to construct the darn thing.  If you are parked on hard top or rocky
ground, it is impossible to drive in those tent stakes. Once erected,
the first breath of wind, flops and flaps, and pulls the stakes out.
Your first neighbor to visit, trips over those damn ropes, and then
nearly clothes lines himself.  Nuff said.
On the positive side, I have seen a custom Zip Dee on a Bambi, that was
really a beauty, and very expensive.  It was so expensive, some Japanese
broker came over and bought the whole thing and took it to Japan.  That
Bambi had Zip Dee's all around, and was really a sight.

The most practical and economical awning for a Bambi is similar to what
Sherry in Bisbee has.  She has a E-Z UP awning that is about 8 ft x 10
ft, can be easily put up in minutes, with no stakes, and it can be moved
easily , as the sun moves, or if the party moves.   The E-Z UP awnings
are made in Riverside Calif, and they have a factory outlet store in
Colton, Calif..  The awnings come in many different sizes, from 8X10 up
to 20X20. The 10X10 seems to be the most popular, and it is available in
many different colors. When folded up, it is small enough to put in the
trunk of a small car.   They are priced from $139 up to $700 plus.   The
red Eclipse model is especially nice.  See for yourself, go to ;

www.ezup.com

The final thing about a stand alone awning, is that you don't have it
attached to the side of your coach to inhibit the aerodynamics of your
"Airstream".

Bill Scott
61 Bambi