Re: [VAC] '61 Bambi

Hi Hunter,

You wouldn't be "horsing around" with me, would you?  (:

Weight is a key issue here. Depending on type & size (number of critters) of the
horse trailer I can see their point.

I have a single axle equipment trailer that I haul my antique (and restored)
Allis Chalmers tractor on. Weight of trailer and tractor are about 3,000 pounds
total. With regular bias tires, on the freeway at speed on hot summer days the
bias would get to warm to be comfortable. At the tire stores suggestion I had
heavy duty radials put on and under the same conditions they run cool. A world of
difference, and to the better. It tows just great as well. The same with the
Bambi on a single axle. Works out just great and the Bambi is at 3,000 lbs or
less.

On my 31ft. Sovereign International double axle I also run radials and have great
success and as you know this is a heavy trailer. I have no idea as to the weight
of your loaded horse trailer. This just might be more weight than the radials
that your tire store carries can handle.

My tire store said that as long as the tow vehicle is running radials that
radials are fine on the trailers. After many years and many
miles................under some extreme conditions such as strong side winds at
Interstate speeds, hot summer desert temps, etc. personally I've never had any
troubles at all. I'm been extremely pleased with the performance of radials on a
number of different trailers. Since I'm not an "expert" all I can go by is my
personal experience and what the experts have told me up here at Les Schwab
tires. They are a large tire store chain that has an excellent reputation.

Pat