Re: [VAC] Zolatone

I wanted to share with everyone the information I got yesterday about
Zolatone from a distributor here in Dallas.

1. Zolatone come in a wide variety of colors and types including a
water-based version with very low VOC's (and gorgeous colors.) There is
even one called "Lluminations" that has a prismatic, almost glittery
kind of look. The multicolor 20 series for automotive and marine
applications is just one of their lines. The water base, classic, and
lluminations lines are designed for interior applications.

2. The distributor recommends a small spray gun, the Campbell Hausfeld
model DH-4200, for use with a compressor to apply Zolatone. (this
replaces their previous recommendation, the Binks 380 cup gun which they
like better, but it is no longer being manufactured) This model is
available at Home Depot  - I don't know the price. He said (incredibly
nice person, who knows his Zolatone) said that the touch-up sprayer is
fine for touch ups, but would be hard to use for a total respraying. But
he confirms that Zolatone is easy to apply, just mask off everything far
more than you think is necessary. And also make sure you regulate the
air compressor carefully so you don't blow up the sprayer - he said he's
come close to blowing one up himself.

3. He recommended any good latex white paint as a primer - said it was
not necessary to use Zolatone's primer - as long as your original paint
is adhering.

4, He also gave me an application guide that tells you exactly how to
apply it and take care of the finish in the future.

I've been searching for a good source of Zolatone info for a while and I
feel like I've hit the mother lode. This person showed me how the
particles are suspended in the mixture (he keeps a glass jar with
Zolatone on his bookcase) And described his personal experiences
applying Zolatone. I would encourage anyone thinking about zolatone to
keep looking until you find a distributor in your area. I found mine by
calling a local paint store (here in Dallas) that has been here for many
years and serves a lot of contractors and architects.

I'll be checking out the price of the sprayer this weekend - and how
much it would cost to rent an air compressor. (Unless my dad has one
hiding in his garage) I'm really fired up - the painting thing has been
bugging me for months.

Hope this adds something to our general knowledge base.

Deena
62 Safari