Re: [VAC] Restoration Upadate

After a beautiful Spring weekend, it's time for an update.  We
overhauled the old Bargman tail-lights and license frame light/holder.
Replaced all the dried-up gaskets, grommets & installed new stainless
steel hardware.  Sandblasted the bases and sprayed them.

Discovered that water had been leaking through the holes in the skin for
the wires during the last heavy rain storm - and I thought it was the
rear window all this time.  Discovered some dry rot there in the very
back - I guess that proves that there is no such thing as an old A/S
without some dry rot somewhere - unless it spent its life in a barn.
Going to have to dig it out and back fill with epoxy.

Went through the interior front to back replacing all the popped rivets
and the loose & broken hardware with parts we had been collecting from
A/S dealers and the hardware store.  Fixed up both bed frames, replacing
missing fasteners and waxing the slides, etc.  Replaced some closet
panels that had been destroyed by leaks around the vent pipes - that
tells me that they are a good source of water intrusion and the sealant
on top should be checked regularly.

Replaced the door weather-stripping and started modifying the 28"
refrigerator vent into a 24" version.  WIll document it with pictures.

Looking forward to next weekend....

RJ & Krista
'65 Caravel