Re: [VAC] Air Conditioner for '65 24'

Greetings Jim!

Your unit may already be prewired for Air Conditioning.  Check your
fuse/circuit breaker box for an unused breaker.  Finding such an unused
breaker points to the existence of the wiring for Air Conditioning being
present.  It was sometime near the '65 model year that pre-wiring for Air
Conditioning became standard.

If your rig is prewired, it is not prewired like other RVs.  Airstream
didn't usually use an existing vent for the A/C, but rather specified
cutting a hole in the roof at a specified location.  If you are on good
terms with an Airstream dealer, he/she may be able to furnish you with the
details for locating a unit on your rig.

The usual concern is with selecting the A/C unit.  There is only one series
for which internal drain pans are manufactured which allows the condesate
to drain through tubes inside the RV.  I followed my Airstream dealer's
recommendation for a more standard unit that allows the condesate to drain
on the roof as with other RVs.  The one problem that this creates is making
modifications so that the roof unit seals properly with curved roof of the
Airstream.  My dealer created a wooden platform upon which the A/C is
mounted.  So far, no leaks and absolute satisfaction after 2 years.  The
A/C unit is a Coleman.

Good luck in solving your Air Conditioning dilemma!

Kevin Allen
Livingston, Wisconsin
1964 Airstream Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
WBCCI/VAC#6359