[VAC] Suburban furnace

We have ripped out (literally) the old '68 Suburban furnace to try to clean
the burner, because the flame was thought to be to wild.  I don't know how
wild or controlled it's supposed to be, but the Suburban is out of the camper
now.  I wish that we'd known that you needed to remove the outside exhaust
cover, to access two screws behind the cover to release the exhaust duct.  We
unscrewed all the floor screws and man handled the thing out.  The exhaust
duct flange was fairly rusted, so the screw holes on the flange tore loose.
Anyway, at this point, I don't know what to do.  We can't figure out how to
get to the burner.  There is only a little peep hole into the furnace on the
front, and we loosened everything on the back, and see no sign of the burner
coming loose.  Can anyone tell me how to get the burner out of a 1968
Suburban?  Then we'll have to figure out how to reconnect to the exhaust
connection.  Any ideas there?
Just when we thought were finished with the important repairs, ...   There
seems to be no end to the repairs on a 30 year old camper.  But I hope the
replacements will hold up as long as the origionals did.

Replacements on the '69 Overlander to date:
    Floor (front 4 foot section & water heater 1/4 section area)
    Floor covering (Armstrong laminate wood look)
    Water pump
    All water pipe (pex) & some drain pipe
    Water Heater
    Shower diverter valve
    Sink diverter valve kit
    Battery
    hinges & door latches
    screens on most windows
    sofa upholstry
    battery charger
    What will be next?  Possible new furnace in our future.  Any
recomendations on what to put in?
Any help would be appreciated.
Brenda