Re: [VAC] broken window

Erin,

I have a 1969 safari and had the same thing happen to me this past summer
just before we were to leave on the big family "griswald" vacation. It was a
nightmare.
Basically this is what happened,
- I got ahold of airstream and they gave me the part number after I supplied
them with the serial number of the trailer
-I gave the part number to the dealer and told him to order it into
Calgary(where I live)
-the window came in and it was $922 CDN from the dealer(I only paid $2800
for the trailer ) so I choked on that a bit.
-When the window arrived I proceeded to drill out all the rivets and rip the
old frame out which came out in pieces
-when I held the ne window up it was too big for the hole
- after I got up off the floor I got ahold of Rod in customer service at
airstream ohio.
He told me to cut the hole bigger, So I went and got a metal blade for my
jig saw and that is what I did.
-lots of scary moments but I used Olympic rivets and put it back in there

Just for your interest the new windows are plexiglass and not glass like the
old ones. The guy at airstream told me that if you can get the old frame out
in one piece there is really only 3 screws holding it together. Remove those
screws and take it to a local plexi shop and for $50 they will cut you a new
piece.
So that is my story in the abridged version.
If you have any more questions let me know and I will fill in the holes.

All for now

Peter and Cathie
69 safari