The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Risk assesment and decesion making process

Greetings all. I am really a pretty laid back guy. I believe this would be
a wonderful discussion to have over a cold one. Since I value constructive
criticism I thought I would give you a little more then just technical
background on me.
 I guess I started messing around with axel modifications back when I was a
teenager. That was in the early 70s and back then a guy (kid) with average
education could perform basic modifications. Sure we were all trying to jack
our hot rods up and there was always the guy who would drive right off a
poorly thought out modification.
 I still work regularly on my 78 Bronco my 88 Suburban and my daughters 92
Jeep. For Christmas I gave her Jeep a 4 inch lift and added 36" tires. A few
of my friends who are what is often referred to as over obsessive parents
remarked at how she was now in great danger of flipping because the jeep was
raised above factory specifications.
Now lets get beyond the hype and discuss decision making based on risk
assessment. My daughter may only be 19 but she has completed a drivers education
program, attends local college and works to pay all her bills. She is a very
good driver and understands she now has a higher center of gravity. I trust her,
I access her risk as low and give her that respect.
I also have two boys. They are as wild as I once was and if they were to want to
raise their vehicles I would protest it. I love my boys but they need to stay
well within factory spec.
Now theres Marie and I. We tow the 6000 lb SS with a 9000 lb 1988 Suburban with
a 454. We just went camping this week and I barley took her above 55. I have towed
Hawk Missiles on the back of an Army 21/2 ton truck all over Germany I understand
and respect what top heavy is.
I dont have a wind tunnel to measure resistance or separate scales to mark CB or
any fancy formulas to figure the tip radius but like my daughter I realize that
there is some added risk but because it looks so much better and I can now travel
over a speed bump and have a better selection of camp sites without taking the rear
bumper out I LOVE it and recommend it to all. This is of course if they are as
cautious and not in a hurry as Marie and I are. Thanks for your time Curt