The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Painting the logos

Was it you, Tom, who painted some logos using "model shop paint"
and felt that it stood up really well to weather and wind?

We have huge issues with weather down here with the temperature
extremes, dryness, blowing sand, and most especially strong UV
radiation.  So since this will be so important to us, I've been
researching it online a little.

I've learned that of the various model acrylics, Floquil acrylics are the
only ones that 1) offer colors close to what we need, and 2) specifically
state that they work well on metal.  I was delighted to find that Reefer
White, a paint in the Floquil Polly Scale Railroad Colors line, was a
PERFECT match for the background of the logo.  (I happen to have
the paint here and looked at the color after I had painted it on a white
card).

The red isn't so easy.  Basically, I'm trying to find reds that have no
black or white and very little yellow in them.  I have DTI Cherry Red,
but it seems to have a little too much black in it.  Odd, because the
actual DTI red (prior to solar fading) seems perfect.  Maybe Seaboard
Air Line Chinese Red would work okay.  Under the "Model and Hobby"
line, Polly Scale offers Red, which seems nice.

Under the Badgers acrylic railroad colors line (now owned by Testors) I
found CB&Q Chinese Red that might be a match.  And the Model
Masters acrylic line (now owned by Testors) has some VERY nice
reds.  Rot RLM 23 and Stop Light Red both look great.  Chevy Engine
Red and Insignia Red are other possibles.

I haven't seen a lot of suitable enamel colors yet, but I noticed that
Testors under their Testors enamel line offers a few reds that could
work:  Red, Cherry Red, Bright Red, and Candy Red.  (As long as the
acrylic Reefer White is really dry, it is fine to use enamels next to it).

I guess our main problem right now is that we really can't figure out
exactly what kind of red the logos were originally painted.  I've been
looking at all the photos I can find, and it seems to me that the red of
the logo was painted to match the red of the taillights and rear
markers--which makes the Model Masters "Stop Light Red" the perfect
choice.  It looks great to me, anyway.  I just don't know if Model
Masters acrylics will work on metal.

After the logo is painted, I think I'll see what kinds of clear finishes I can
find in the automotive parts store; from what I can see here in New
Mexico, automotive finishes are the only ones that can actually hold up
to UV.

Who here has painted their logos?  What kinds of paint did you use?
What colors?  And Tom, what brand of paint did you use, and what
color?  Does anyone have any other ideas?

Cristi