The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] 6-18-2008 Update on Logos

Hi folks,

Here is the latest update.....

First, here is who I have as responding.  PLEASE check your name and quantity.
It has been busy around here, and sadly, I do make errors.
      Patti Glover  2
      Eddie Huffstetter  5
      Ronda Jones  2
      LaDona Gooch  2
      Bruce Bauer  2
      Bev Harris  2
      David Unthank  4
      Thomas Williams  2
      Jo Blackmore  2
      Marvin Sanders  2
      Dave & Sherylyn  2
      Scott Holden  2
      Jason Parks  2

Now, several people have not reconfirmed, or if they have, the spam filter ate
their replies....
      Bob Greene  1
      Gary Huckaby  2
      Mary & Larry  2
      Richard Clossen  2
      Mark & Rosie Alberti
      2

I still haven't placed the order, but will be doing so tomorrow, which gives
those who have not yet reconfirmed a chance to still do so.  If I don't hear
from them, then their logos will not be ordered.

Jason has not responded with an order, but I am sending him a pair of logos in
return for his providing a sample to be used in the casting.

Meanwhile, here is a little more information.  You saw the picture that I used
as an example.  It was at
http://208.109.117.138/Silverstreak/MHonArc/2008_06/SSlogo.jpg.  It turned out
to be a little different because it did not have the star dotting the i on the
logo.  I now have a picture of the sample Jason sent, sitting on the board
which will be used for the casting.  It is at
http://208.109.117.138/Silverstreak/MHonArc/2008_06/ss.jpg.  The color is just
as Jason sent it to me, i.e., painted white with some other color showing
through.  Note the holes.  The same holes will appear on the cast logos.  They
will be in exactly the same spacing as on this sample.

Now, I mentioned that the final product will be unpainted.  It will look
something like this picture of an unpainted cast aluminum Streamline logo at
http://208.109.117.138/Silverstreak/MHonArc/2008_06/sl.jpg.  When you have it
painted, it will look a lot better.  Here is a current picture of the same
kind of logo on my Streamline trailer at
http://208.109.117.138/Silverstreak/MHonArc/2008_06/sl-final.jpg.  I painted
that logo four or five years ago and it has held up will.  The discoloration
you see is not as a result of fading, it is just a little dirty.  As I
mentioned in my earlier message, I used some model shop paint, and I would
recommend that you use something like that - at least a paint that will stand
up to the wind and conditions going down the road.

What I will mention is that I used Olympic rivets to fasten the logo to the
trailer.  These are a type of pop rivet with a shavable head which, when
shaved ends up looking almost the same as a bucked rivet from the factory.
Compare the rivets on the logo in the picture to the rivets joining the
aluminum to the ribs on the trailer and you can see what I mean.  If you have
access to this type of rivet, and a shaver, I would recommend that you go this
route.  If necessary, I suggest you try to borrow such a shaver.

One question I received was whether the logos would be flat or curved.  They
will be flat, just as you see the sample sitting on the board.  Matter of
fact, before I took the picture the folks at the casting company had a weight
sitting on top of the sample, helping to flatten it.  They will end up tacking
the sample to the board to ensure it is flat.

I will not be doing any other logos but the Silver Streak one just now.  If
all goes well, we can look at doing Sabre and others later.

The price will be around $26.50 per logo plus shipping.  I still don't have a
shipping cost, but will get that tomorrow.  I did line up some boxes today
which should safely handle the logos for shipping, so now need to get prices
from USPS, FedEx and UPS.

I should be able to give you the final price tomorrow, and let you send the
money then.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

-Tom