The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] JD Lydall

JD,
Yes, could be your problem. What year? The camshaft sensor is as follows:
1994 thru 1996 part number F4TZ12K073C lists at Ford for $27.87, my cost
$23.30
1997 thru 2003 part number F7TZ12K073A lists at Ford for $27.62, my cost
$22.10
This part is more expensive at O'Reilley, Autozone, PepBoys, Advance, auto
parts stores.
The fuel filters are cheapest and include a new black lid and "O" ring at
Autozone. The oil filters are cheapest at Autozone and Wal-Mart.

LOCATION: The camshaft sensor is hard to see with out a mirror, but easy to
feel it and even easier to replace it. Replacement is from underneath. You
do not need to jack up the truck. It is located on the front of the engine
in the area above the crankshaft pulley on the timing chain cover. It is
held  in by one little bolt, not very tight, and uses a 10 mm box end wrench
to remove. That bolt holds a little steel fork type retainer bracket like
you are familiar with on an old distributor hold down bracket. Simply remove
the little bolt, set away the little steel bracket, an wiggle out the
sensor. It is very small like a puck, and has two wires in a single loom.
The wires  unplug and plug. Don't break the plastic lock tabs. Put a little
oil on the new part "O" ring or a little Vaseline or grease. Reinstall and
then plug it in. Don't over tighten the little bolt in the soft aluminum
housing. Without experience job takes 30 minutes. With experience takes five
minutes or less so is not hard. You can do it!

This initially $174 CSS part is also on recall so save your receipt. The CSS
is so cheap I keep several and it can produce all sorts of affects you would
not expect including poor fuel economy. When in doubt, just replace the
thing. It is the heart beat of the engine and without it the ECM (main
computer brain) does not know what to do. It all starts from the little
camshaft sensor. Just replace it! No point in guessing. All modern vehicles
have one, gas or diesel.

Be safe!

-Eddie-
Houston, TX