The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] axle

Ann,
Can't your husband pack the other three bearing sets, either cut or chisel
off the burned up bearing inner races, beat out the outer races from the
hub, put in a bearing set and come on in with a less than perfect job where
he can do repairs?

If the spindle or hub, or washer and nut are too destroyed, just have him
hard-force jack up the axle without the wheel and hub, wedge block the
walking beam and chain up the no-wheel axle and tow it on in on three
wheels. I have done this repeatedly. Just force all the way up the axle with
no wheel. Get mild chain of small enough size to work with, and bolts, nuts,
washers to put thru the chain and just bolt it tight  The trailer will tow
just fine on three, or even two wheels at highway speeds. By force all the
way up, I mean that he needs to jack up the axle with no wheel with enough
force that it will go no higher and the adjacent wheel which is
simultaneously forced down, either clears the ground or at least neither
axle can travel up, and the adjacent travel down any further. All slack can
be removed from the chain-up by short-bolting at a grabbing-angle the links
with a long-threaded bolt and bind-tightening. I used a grade 8 bolt and nut
of 5/16" bolt size available at any hardware store. I double washered both
the bolt head and nut end against the chain end and double nutted to not
have to fear the nut coming loose. The wrench size will be 1/2" on the 5/16"
bolt and nut. If he uses 3/8" bolt the wrench size will be 9/16", but he
must make sure the bolt size will fit thru the link of the chain.

The critical thing is that he must pack the three remaining wheel bearing
sets before proceeding. I am not joking, not speaking off the top of my
head. I am extremely experienced on this and this trailer WILL TOW on three
wheels or even two wheels (must be on the same axle). The tire on the side
with one wheel only must be the best of the three and if not good condition,
needs to be replaced. The tire pressure for a one wheel tow must be 50 psi
minimum. Speed does not have to be reduced to safely tow but attention to
bad swells in the road, rough areas will require reducing speed to 50 mph.
If you or he does not understand this, then call me 713-694-8084.

-Eddie-
Houston, TX