The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] temp repair Hinge breakage

When I was in the landlord business I'd install pins (screws then cut the heads off)
in the door side of the hinges of the outside doors that would go into holes in the
door jamb part of the hinges. This prevented having the doors kicked in on the hinge
side (segalocks, the ones with the interlocking loops and vertical pins) on the lock
side.
On our plug doors (house doors are plug doors too) something of the sort would be
extra security against having the door fall off from hinge failure. I have not done
it to my SS. Only a suggestion for consideration.
If the upper hinge broke completely I suspect the door might come off. The deadbolt
would pull out of the door jamb plate and the weight of the door would break the lower
hinge off. If you think new hinges are expensive I don't think you'd want to find out
how much a new door would cost!!! Plus the hinges anyway.
My hinges didn't have any washers. From the design I'm pretty sure there was no
clearance to allow for any.
Al

-- "Eddie" <Eddie@Huffstetter.com> wrote:

Curtis,
My 76 SS 30' Continental Motor Home has steel washers. My 79 SS 32' SLL has nylon washers. Both are factory washers. Both failed. Loops are broken. I had to duct tape both for transit home. Duct tape will not hold the weight of the door. Had to tie. Door is very heavy. Door has wiggle and vibration in transit. Loops break.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX