The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] size of propane tanks

15% of 4,500# is 675#; 15% of 5,000# is 750#. 800# is above the maximum
15% recommendation for tongue weight.
Too much weight on the tongue makes for "wallowing" by the trailer, which
is supported on a triangle like a tricycle. If you recall your kids' trike,
if you leaned forward it was easy to tip over. For coasting down hills you
leaned back toward the rear wheels for stability. Of course there was little
or no loading out behind the rear axle, which is not the case with
"teeter-totter" RV trailers. A second kid hanging out the back of the trike
made the trike want to veer all over.
If the center of gravity is high, it makes "wallowing" even more likely.
A tow vehicle that is heavier than the trailer makes up for a lot of trailering
sins. :-)
Al

-- "Tom Patterson" <pattersontj@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Just as a addendum, I have a 22' Streamline which weighs in somewhere
between 4,500 and 5,000 (It has add-ons like a hardwood floor).  My tongue weight,
with two 30 lb. tanks and two batteries is 800 lbs.

I have absolutely no sway at any speed with this trailer, and have no
trouble with the wind from 18 wheels throwing me around.  My tow vehicle controls
the trailer, not the other way around.

-Tom