The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] size of propane tanks

Oops...the computer hit the send key...it's not my fault...

Jason,
Bigger is better so get the big ones. Read everyone's advice on that because
you need and want that tongue weight, and never travel with anything in the
holding tanks except to the dump station. Fill that fresh water tank when
you get there, not when you start out. There is always someone who will let
you pay a small price if they are not generous, to fill that water tank if
you are dry camping on a beach or something. Compare the prices on the tanks
to see the bigger one is the better value.

Just figure liquids at a rounded off 10 pounds per gallon whenever in doubt.
Sure, 10 gallons of water is nearer 80 pounds than 100 pounds, but what is
important is the weight on the trailer structure, fuel to haul that weight,
and where is the weight? If it is all the way in the back, just think like a
see-saw or balance beam. That water and holding tank can destroy absolute
needed tongue weight and make the trailer drive you all over the highway.
You'll not discover that effect until speeds that reveal it too late in a
lot of circumstances, like when that semi passes you, in either direction.

Depending upon your tow vehicle, there are two things that can really add to
stability in towing, even when the tongue weight is correct. Those two are
load levelers sometimes called stabilizers, and the other is anti-sway bar,
or two bars depending on length and weight. Usually only one is needed,  not
expensive and really works great. Those two things are great tools.

I use a F350 diesel dually crew so I never have had any trailer give me need
for levelers or sway bars, but I did need sway bars to tow a 32 foot Silver
Streak out of the Great Lakes. Absolute must, the tow vehicle was a 78
Argosy motor home, certainly heavier than my truck, and the same number of
wheels, but the wind from the motor home created a draft environment on the
trailer that was destroyed with every passing truck. The tow was impossible
to control above 45 mph and the sway bar was mandatory. So there are a lot
of factors that can affect towing and the equipment you may need. The
important thing is don't find out the hard way.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX