The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Re: Silver Streak Digest V1 #512

We had a 5.7L Suburban, 2500 with a 4.10 axle.  It would pull our 28.5' SS,
but it was a chore.  Had to use 3rd gear, and got 7 MPG running 60 MPH.  It
would loose speed on the small hils of central Texas and I would wind up in
second gear.

Luckly I had not sold my 1 ton diesel truck, so went went back to it for
towing.  With the F350, 7.3L pulling a 13,500# 5er, we could get 11 mpg
running 65 to 70 mph and never came out or OD until it was a steeper hill.
I had been spoiled with a diesel for towing and I could not go back to a gas
powered truck.

The Burb would pull the trailer, but it had to work at it and I did not want
to have to work at towing.  I don't know how you will do with a 3.73 axle,
you may want to go ahea and get it changed to a 4.10 gear set.  Do not
expect to get more than about 8 mpg towing.

I use a Jordan 2020 Ultima brake controller which is a big step above the
Prodigy.  Jordan was bought out and they are supposed to have an improved
one on the market now.  I had a Prodigy and did not like it...sold it at a
garage sale for $20.00 and it was about 3 months old.  It was not enough
controller for a 13000# plus trailer.

Ken