The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Rear Hitch on trailer

Personally I would not hang anything on the back end of my trialer.  First
is the issue of it will lihtenyour hitch weight, which you do not normally
want.

Next are the stress issues.  Hanging a static weight out at the end of a
lever arm is one thing, but as soon as you start to move down the road,you
have dynamic forces involved now.  The distance from the scooter back to the
support pont on the trailer frame will be something close to 2 feet.  The
scoter support or bracket will probably weight a good 100#  plus the
scooter, say 200# for a total weight of 300# hanging 2 feet back from the
frame.  The moment arm will equate to about 600 #/ft for a static load.
When moving down the road, the rar of the trailer will be moving up and
down.  When it moves, the weight will be seeing an acceleration and a
deceleration which will result is an intermediate force that is several
times the static forces.

I know you will see people with scooters and such on the back of a rear
monted hitch, but I have also seen carriers destroyed with only a couple of
bicycles on them.

Short story is to not add the hitch or carrier to the trailer if you care
about the trailer or scooter.

Asa note, I am a mechanical engineer by profession.  while I have spent my
career in heat transferand thermodynamics, I still understand stress es,
statics and dynamics.

Ken