The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Powerwash

A low-pressure powerwasher should be fine if used with care. KARCHER makes
some that I have seen at Home Depot, Lowes, etc for around $150. There is no
clearcoat on a factory trailer that is anodized. The problem -- one to think
on -- is that the seals around windows, doors, etc have UV-aged and are
hardened. Plus, the seams between the aluminum sheets may be missing some
caulk (VULKEM). Get on the roof and take a long look; R&R the bad seams.
Also, if the A/C gasket is old, that is another area of concern. The
aftermarket makes nice, thick replacements.

I plan to buy a washer like the above. I have some product from EACO CHEM
that has already removed some mineral buildup after a test of sample product.
I plan to use their A.R.T. afterwards (as I am not interested at present in
a clearcoat job like the AVION people receive from their main parts/supply
source: CAYO).

But before I go over the trailer multiple times, I have some seams to work on.
I have been buying sealers from VINTAGE TRAILER SUPPLY. There are numerous
good threads from the Airstream-ers on this subject of seam work.

The EACO CHEM product made for (after I had used Aluminex Clean & Shine (a
MARYKATE product [West Marine]) a reduction in "brown" that I was not aware
was there. This is a highly buffered product (as is the A.C.S). B Multiple
washes are suggested.

Remember to NEVER let the product being used in the pressure washer to dry on
the trailer, but to let it sit as long as possible prior to that. Wash from
the bottom up, and rinse from the top down. I do the underside first, then
the sides, then the roof last.

Good luck