The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak]Hinge Project Update

Thanks, Eddie.

I know how frustrating the process of finding someone to not only commit to
replicating the hinges can be, but also in finding one with an acceptable
finished product.

We were in a hard spot last year, because both our hinges broke completely
at the same time, making the trailer virtually unusable.  We found a NOS set
on eBay, being sold by Bob Ashby's son, and had to pay over $500 for them
(plus $75 in shipping costs.  We got raped, I know, but we didn't have much
of a choice).

We didn't want to just run out and install them, knowing how hard these
things are to come by, so we shopped around the Salt Lake City area to find
a respectable metal worker who could replicate these hinges.  To say the
least, this was NOT an easy task.  We finally settled on a company that had
done all of the metalworking for the Olympics when they were held here (all
of their celebratory paraphernalia around town and the like).  They also
specialized in restoration of antique cast items.  We thought they would
certainly do an acceptable job. They worked on it for several weeks, and
tried several different techniques, but could never produce a hinge that
would be easily replicated and would look good (AND not cost a fortune!).
Their final offering was so disappointing that they wouldn't even charge us
for their time, let alone materials. They told us we needed to find a
company that would reverse-engineer an injection mold (or find the original
mold - like that will be easy!) Ultimately, we ended up installing the
hinges we purchased on eBay (with much mental anguish!).

I hope you have a better experience than we did.

-Bryan Crockett