The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Hinge drama

Does anyone have a clue what company made the original diecastings? I would not be
in favor of identical diecastings as the hinges always looked weak to me, and this
discussion confirmed that suspicion. Unless one just "has" to have duplicate of
original hinges, the stainless sheet fabricated hinges should be very superior.
The only casting that would be equal or better than fabricated stainless sheet hinges
would be investment cast stainless hinges.
Al

-- "Ralph Cooke" <rcooke@bak.rr.com> wrote:

Curtis,

I wish it were as simple as having the hinges "recast"  Apparently the
type of casting that was used originally required a VERY EXPENSIVE
master mold.  Several people on the list approached various companies
that do "Casting".  From what I understand none of the simple castings
were satisfactory and the proper "mold" and casting method would be
prohibitively expensive, unless a very large number of hinges were
ordered to spread the cost of the mold out.  I and several others have
approached sheet metal fabrication shops about having a set of hinges
made.  None of the shops approached were willing to tackle the job.

My guess is that any Silver Streak with the pot metal hinges has had
the hinges replaced at least once, and perhaps have had many hinge
replacements over the past 20-35 years.  My 26 foot 1972 Cont. show
signs of at least 5 hinge replacements.  Apparently the original
hinges were the small footprint style.  There has been a 1/8" thick by
1 Foot Square aluminum plate riveted to the side of the trailer where
the door handle hit's it when open.  The trailer wall is so full of
holes, that I placed a 1/4" by 4" Stainless Steel bolt through the top
and bottom of both hinges.  The bolts come through approximately 3
inches of wood, into the sliding panel cabinets so are not visible
inside the trailer.  I also had the new Stainless Steel hinges made
about 1/4" oversize to cover up the damage from numerous hinge
failures and replacements.

About a year ago, up in the Sacramento area, I talked to the owners of
a Mid 1970's 30' Silver Streak they had obtained from his parents, who
were the original owners.  I asked them about the hinge problem as
mine were quite worn.  From what he remembered, his parents changed
out the hinges twice in the first 12-15 years of fairly heavy family
usage.  When they heard that Silver Streak would be shutting down
production, they bought two sets of hinges.  The current owner had
installed the last set of those hinges right after he bought the
trailer from his parents about 4 years ago.  He noted that after 3
years of frequent usage, he had noticeable wear, his door had dropped
down about 1/8" or more and one of the outer door loops had broken
away from the hinge base.

Regards,
Ralph