The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Flipped axels sound decision

I have noted all of the discussion about trailer height, and only have
this comment.  Lower is more stable.  BUT raising the trailer 3-4
inches will still result in a trailer that is stable to tow.  The real
secret is to have enough tongue weight, and keep the tires inflated to
the max listed pressure on the sidewall.

One of the "Best" safety measures is to tow with a dually pickup.  The
4 tires on the rear of the truck will minimize any "steering" effect
imparted by the trailer, give much better stopping ability, while
reducing drastically any tendency for the trailer to force a
jackknife, and if or when you have a flat rear tire on the tow
vehicle, there is no loss of control.

I no longer run "Trailer" tires on any of my trailers, work trailers,
Race Car trailer, or Silver Streak.  I ALWAYS PUT ON LIGHT TRUCK
TIRES.  Preferably load range E, but load range D is OK for most
trailers under 8,000 lbs. gross weight.  Unfortunately MOST of the
current crop of "Trailer" rated tires have VERY POOR PERFORMANCE AT
ANY SPEED ABOVE 50-55 MPH.  Separated treads and tires blown out
through the sidewall are common, even on tires less than 2 years old,
that were always properly inflated, and well within the load range
listed on the sidewall.  I have switched to using Light Truck tires
with a speed rating of 85+ MPH, even if I never intend to tow above 55
MPH.  That one move stopped all of my tire failure problems on the
various Tank, Equipment, Race Car, and Travel Trailers over the past
three years.

Ralph