The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Electrical question

Curt,
I'm trying to understand what you are referring so maybe you can elaborate.
There should be no 120v standard duplex outlets that are in any way powered
by any transformer. If equipped, you have a transformer that is 120v
powered, but is converting that ac voltage to basically 12v dc. That is all
it does and this converter is used for powering the 12 volt battery supplied
systems WITH 12 volt battery(s) in place but not without the battery.

I have never seen the models of our coaches use more than four fuses or
breakers and usually one of those is wired to be a main breaker for the
other three. There is usually no need for more. Usually one is dedicated for
the roof air and not shared. The other two can be any configuration for 120
volt ac wall plugs, devices and appliances.

As far as connecting your 120 volt water heater needs, you can use existing
nearby duplex standard outlets, or follow your shore power cord to the
breaker or fuse box and sometimes add yourself a service there. A dual-fuel
modern water heater often will also need additional wiring for it's solid
state controller and selector switch. It can require low-consumption 12 volt
power for that and the automatic switching capabilities.

If you foresee an opportunity to tow the trailer to Houston with you on one
of your regular trips, I would gladly take a moment to complete your
installation of the new unit. I have done many of them. You have my personal
contact info and the offer is no big deal to me. You can contact Tom
Patterson if you feel you need or want to confirm my capabilities for a
professional installation in whole or in part.

If you want to complete it yourself I will be more than happy to help you
step by step. It's no big deal. The main thing is that I already know you
are more than capable of doing anything and I am confident in your ability
to work safely as I would feel terrible if you got hurt doing something only
limited by your being unfamiliar with it. Anybody who can do what you do can
do this too. So let's get you comfortable with anything electrical because
any RV is always loaded with those maintenance and addition tasks.

Let's git-r-done!
-Eddie-
Houston, TX