The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] deadbolt

Make sure the door has a (usually wood) spacer block inside the door where
you are going to bore for a deadbolt lock.

Otherwise, you will need to put a spacer in or the tightening of the deadlock
cylinder screws will squash the door in.
I installed a deadbolt lock on a hollow aluminum door (Spartanette) by cutting
a piece of plastic (PVC) plumbing pipe of appropriate size (most modern deadbolt
locks use a 1=" hole in the door) and splitting it so it would squeeze in enough
to slip it into the hole. It then opened up to make a reinforcement sufficient to
make a neat installation. If the length of the piece is just a tidge long, it
will fit tightly inside the door and not fall down inside the door. Some glue will
also hold it in place.
If a one-piece spacer won't go in through the hole, you can split the piece in two
and slip each half in, then use glue to put it together if you wish - it should
stay put without glue, though, if it fits between the door skins snugly.
Al

-- "Thomas Williams" <tomgwilliams@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Mine is a '73 without a deadbolt on the suicide door, but I'm considering
installing one. By the way, does anyone know of a source for decals?
Tom, Burleson, Tx.