The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] grease'n my acme

The instructions with my Reese power jack prohibits greasing the jack screw.
It also warns against excessive lubrication of the coupling between the gear
case and the jack screw, as oil that gets into the jack screw and ball nut
will dilute the grease.
Now, after 29 years I would guess that the grease on the jack screw and in the
ball nut might be getting a little dried out. However, if the grease in the
gearbox is any indication (it's still soft and full of oil), maybe the jack
screw grease is still good. I doubt that Reese really intended for its product
to last three decades.
I have not tried to open the jack screw and ball nut case (the vertical tube).
I do not want to mess with the recirculating ball nut assembly if not
absolutely necessary.
Recently I opened the motor and oiled the bearings, which were quite dry. The
motor had taken to squealing and being sluggish. I oiled the bearing hoIders
and felt pads with light oil. I also redistributed the grease in the gearbox
and put a little oil into the bearing bushing recesses.
Al