The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] propane lights

Joe,
The LP lamps are readily available on eBait. If you get impatient, let me
know and I have a bunch of them. The prices do vary a lot, depending on a
lot of factors such as new, used, antique-type, solid brass, cast, globes,
little control knobs, etc.

Certainly they are plenty safe and enjoyable. Tom Patterson has one in his
Streamline Duchess and I in my Countess. They are very common, but seldom
used. Use is more in the winter as they make a little heat. They are common
to locate in a cabinet near the stove, near the fridge, or at the nose. This
is simply for plumbing ease of access. Sometimes trailers have more than
one. No, they will not asphyxiate you, soot up the trailer, or over pollute
the interior. Some people also put them on the outside and trailer with the
globe removed to prevent breakage.

Typically each has a control knob for brightness adjustment and off. The
mantles can be sort of special, but any Coleman-type mantle will do and can
be tied on. There is little smell or soot when lit due to the nature of
propane. The lamps all typically have a top-shield to protect and dissipate
heat, but you'd not want to mount so high to the ceiling to defeat that
proximity slight need.

The lamps are fun, nostalgic, and do serve dry-camping needs affording a lot
of light without any power. Once on and glowing bright, the brightness can
be adjusted low to bright. The bright light is actually very small LP gas
making the mantle glow.

LP from the bottle is regulated, as you can see the regulator on the bottle.
The regulators are set and not adjustable by the user intentionally. The
amount of pressure to any appliance is 5 ounces or less. That is so
insignificant you can block and open line easily with your finger, and it
won't begin to inflate a worn balloon.

Get a lamp, install it, and enjoy. Function is just like a yard natural gas
lamp, or a Coleman lantern. LP use is extremely small and a barbeque sized
bottle would run one for more than a month.

Hope any of this helps you.
-Eddie- Houston, TX