The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] travel with propane bottle on - water heater

Cristi,
Yes, there were several replies, mine, Ken Wilson's, etc. The consensus is
yes, ok to drive with propane bottle on, and fridge on in propane mode.
There was no discussion about the hot water heater and I personally would
not have it on until getting to the camp ground. Just no need as it does not
take more than 20 minutes, in LP mode, electric mode, or in the case of the
modern unit, both modes can be on for constant hot shower and rapid heating.

Common sense attention to fueling is all that is required. On multiple pump
islands, just keep your trailer out of the canopied area, surrounded by
others who may be fueling. That simply means putting the tow vehicle at the
first pump, and let the trailer sit out and away from the pumps, not
adjacent to someone else who is fueling.

It takes about two days to cool any fridge to stabilzation. So plan ahead,
turn it on, and you can switch back and forth to ac power on the fridge when
plugged in at campsite, or just leave it on propane. It will always work
best on propane. The propane use is very minimal.

Don't forget to turn off that range top pilot light. Easy to do, just lift
the burner top, follow the little tube to the burners. Just after the tube
leaves the knob area, but just ahead of where it connects, there is a little
flat-head screw. With the pilot light on and seeing the little flame,
mentally remember about where it is set now, then turn it until the pilot
goes out. Your done. Play with it a little first so you get used to what is
a little candle-flame, but not so high as to become a high smoky flame that
overheats the range top and stinks.

I personally don't even bother with that range top pilot light, as it is too
small to stink or matter really. I just fan the area a little and light it
when I get to the camp ground. But if you not really using the range anyway,
just keep the pilot light off and light the burners when needed. The oven
pilot will not come on until the oven control is turned to pilot mode. You
have to match-light that anyway.

Your old type water heater pilot will not be on unless deliberately lit. It
has a fail-safe cut off. The central heater is the same, and has a fail-safe
pilot cut off.

Hope any of this helps.
-Eddie- Houston, TX