The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Website and mailing lists update

Tom, I use the SDF public access UNIX system for my website. The cost is very low, but it is not terribly user-friendly. Still, there are help pages and bboards to ask for help, and even a non-computer person like me was able to publish a website on their servers. You may (or may not) find it useful for your purposes. http://sdf.lonestar.org/index.cgi Cristi ----- Original Message ----- > Well folks, > > Here is the latest on the website and the mailing lists. There are > two mailing lists involved. The Vintage Airstream list, and the > Silver Streak list. > > The website transferred over to GoDaddy without incident. It is > working well, although there are probably errors that I haven't found > yet. They should be minor. > > The mailing list transfer did not work well. I transferred them to > GoDaddy as well, but found that GoDaddy has a limit of 1,000 relays > per day for a hosted website such as mine. The two lists together > have almost 800 members. Therefore, if a one mailing is sent to each > person on the two lists, that will count as 800 relays. The 1,000 > limit was reached within minutes of getting the site transferred. > That is why the e-mails cut off on June 24th. > > To resolve this problem, I moved the mailserver back to the old > server, and complained to GoDaddy. There is about a month and a half > left of my contract on the old server. > > GoDaddy came back to me, and upped the limit to 8,000 per day. I > advised them that while this limit might work on some days, it would > not on others, and asked for a limit of at least 20,000 daily relays. > GoDaddy declined to give me this requested amount. They told me to > work with the 8,000 and if no-one complained about me being a spammer, > they might consider upping the limit in the future. > > I advised them that this did not resolve my problem, and left me with > no option but to look for another hosting company that would not have > this kind of limit on relays. > > So, for now, the website will continue to stay on GoDaddy. The > mailserver will continue to work on the old server. All will continue > working just as it does right now. > > Meanwhile, I will be looking for another hosting company and server. > The old hosting company did not have any limit on the number of > relays, and I have found others that do not as well. Unfortunately, > this means that another transfer of the site will be in the works in > the future. > > If you have any questions, please contact me off-list. > > -Tom >