The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Flipped axles

Hey Al!,
That's right!

These trailers however are drop axles so it doesn't apply except that the
axle is still bowed up in a total-length arch. Moved over or under is of
course what is repeatedly discussed. There are also those who lengthen the
shackle-mounts, ends, centers, or both too. The drop axles have bushed
hanger pins and are often zerked for greasing. Great solid bar beam, center
pin locators, they are quality products often neglected and still without
problems! Silver Streak and Streamline are really built well unlike many
other brands then and now. Tom Patterson kindly posted pictures on April 21
with a link.

Your right. Your center axle should have the same arch as the forward and
rear. Like Take-3 brand, some trailer mfgrs are not very good. Your trailer
may be a good brand that got built on a bad day, or it may have been
overloaded once, hit a swell etc. too hard once, or any number of things.
I'm sure it tracks great though and as long as the axle is still straight at
least and not bowed down it does not need attention. It's also hard to watch
tire wear for determinations on a three-axle trailer, as that is one of the
trade-offs.

At least you don't have the typical and not maintainable wheels flying off
nightmare of the Take-3 trailers, stamped out walking beams, and the cheapy
non-bushed hangars and pins. I have two of the Take-3 axles in my junk pile
that I have not yet used for fence posts or fabrication. Even the frames are
too light-weight full of fractures that can't be scabbed and welded fast
enough. Just junk.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX