The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Flipped axles

When raising a trailer by moving the axles from over the springs to under them, the term
"flip" is common. Nevertheless, axles should not literally be flipped over (with certain
exceptions).
Generally axles are bowed up in the center or the spindles are angled down slightly on the
ends of the axles. This gives positive camber, which improves stability and tire wear on
most vehicles, not just trailers. It also prevents negative camber from loading the axles.
Negative camber tends to cause a Also, there should be a little toe-in, like 1/16", mostly
to make sure there is no toe-out. Toe-out tends to cause a vehicle to dodge side-to-side.
If an axle is actually just turned upside down, it likely will result in negative camber and
toe-out (if there was any toe-in to start with).

The exception: when the axle is improperly installed to start with. My new cargo trailer
has the center axle negative cambered. The front and rear axles are properly installed,
positive cambered. No other 3 axle trailer I have seen is like this so I'm pretty sure it's
not right.
Al