The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Risk assesment and decesion making process

Greetings all. I am really a pretty laid back guy. I believe this would be a wonderful
discussion to have over a cold one. Since I value constructive criticism I thought I
would give you a little more then just technical background on me.
 I guess I started messing around with axel modifications back when I was a teenager.
That was in the early 70s and back then a guy (kid) with average education could perform
basic modifications. Sure we were all trying to jack our hot rods up and there was always
the guy who would drive right off a poorly thought out modification.
 I still work regularly on my 78 Bronco my 88 Suburban and my daughters 92 Jeep. For
Christmas I gave her Jeep a 4 inch lift and added 36" tires. A few of my friends who are
what is often referred to as over obsessive parents remarked at how she was now in great
danger of flipping because the jeep was raised above factory specifications.
Now lets get beyond the hype and discuss decision making based on risk assessment. My
daughter may only be 19 but she has completed a drivers education program, attends local
college and works to pay all her bills. She is a very good driver and understands she now
has a higher center of gravity. I trust her, I access her risk as low and give her that
respect.
I also have two boys. They are as wild as I once was and if they were to want to raise
their vehicles I would protest it. I love my boys but they need to stay well within factory
spec.
Now theres Marie and I. We tow the 6000 lb SS with a 9000 lb 1988 Suburban with a 454. We
just went camping this week and I barley took her above 55. I have towed Hawk Missiles on
the back of an Army 21/2 ton truck all over Germany I understand and respect what top heavy
is.
I dont have a wind tunnel to measure resistance or separate scales to mark CB or any fancy
formulas to figure the tip radius but like my daughter I realize that there is some added
risk but because it looks so much better and I can now travel over a speed bump and have a
better selection of camp sites without taking the rear bumper out I LOVE it and recommend it
to all. This is of course if they are as cautious and not in a hurry as Marie and I are.
Thanks for your time Curt