The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] tire up-grade & seals

Rod, I have a 1972 26' Cont. Atlas that has a nearly new set of
7:00-15 LT 10 Ply rating tires.  The tires are rated for 2,225 Lbs.
Each at 80 PSI.  I did not go with a "Trailer" tire such as I use on
my equipment and tank trailers, because the LT tires seem to stand up
to long runs at 65-70 MPH better than the dedicated trailer tires.
From the data I have seen on the trailer tires, the tire life drops
off rapidly at speeds above 65 MPH.  As it is possible to safely tow
at 65-70 with a "PROPER" tow vehicle, (I use a Dodge 1 Ton Dually
Diesel Quad Cab).

As to the wheel bearings and inner seals, I believe the wheel bearings
and seals were the same for 26'-28' trailers for a rather long period.
I am not sure that the 1977 had the same bearings, but I believe they
may have, mine for the 1972 26' Cont. Apolo are as follows:

Seals		PHLE
		UE04075
Inner Bearing Race	RML	Made in China
				FIT-100
				LM501310

Inner Bearing		LM501349
Outer Bearing Race	SKF
				LM67010

Outer Bearing		ENDURO
				LM67048
I am fairly sure my axles are original, these bearings & seals fit.
I did change out the brakes from the backing plates out, so that I
could get New Parts, and easy to obtain replacement magnets, shoes,
etc..  They are a standard "Trailer" brake assembly. That bolt up to a
standard 4 bolt Axle flange, which are on our trailers.  So even
though I could not get new Magnets to fit my brakes, I could bolt on
the entire Backing Plate assembly @ about $50-60 each.(2 years ago
prices.) New Magnets, Shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders.

It is often hard to find a shop that caries a variety of trailer brake
parts.  The best one I know of is in Bakersfield, CA.  The shop is:

Bud's Brake & Wheel Parts
305 E 19th. St.
Bakersfield, CA 9330?

Telephone # (661) 322-7061

Bud's Brake & Wheel Parts has been in business for more than 40 years
supplying parts for all types of trailers.  This is one of those rare
shops, that when the owner dies or retires, a great deal of knowledge
concerning various trailer brake and axle systems will be lost.

I was surprised to learn that Dud's Brake ships all over the country,
and seems to have quite a following with owners of various older
trailers of all types, from "Farm" trailers, to "Travel" and
"equipment" trailers.  I believe he even gets calls for parts from out
of the country at times.  I am sure there are a few other shops.

Ralph