The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Trio LED

Ralph,
When you add up all the clearance and running lights on your trailer and tow
vehicle, it's a lot of bulbs. Reducing that constant load on battery,
alternator, and wiring is significant and important to me. Now Tom wasn't
interested so I don't presume importance to others. Just to me.

The minimum for trailers are five amber front, and five red rear upper
clearance lights. That is the three centered on the top and one on each
corner on each end. Some have a center high amber on each side also. Any
trailer has at least two rear red taillights and SS's have four. If you have
or want to add lower side markers which I do, then a 32' Supreme Luxury
Liner has 14 to 16 standard running lights, plus the license plate lamp,
plus six more lower side markers which I add if not already there. That is
at least 21 lights just on the trailer! Some side markers are even
double-bulbed! I am tired of servicing markers. If each bulb only drew 500ma
or 1/2 amp, that is at the very least over 10 amps of barn burning, heat
makeing, too hot to touch and remove with your fingers, bulbs! Did you ever
try to remove or make better connect a simple 1157 tail light bulb when on?
Burn't your fingers huh? Did you ever forget that dome light or your park
lights only to have a dead battery the next day?

The LED markers are sealed, never fail, far brighter, UV resistant, draw
almost no amps, and have a true ground wire that I grease-up and pop-rivet
concealed behing the new lamp. Tom Patterson has seen the trio of new
chromed rear tail lights I put on my Streamline Motor Home, the one with the
porch. I really like the look of them and there is nothing to service. They
are also available in the rubber mount round, rectangular, and all shapes.
The four tail lights draw so little amperes, that they won't excite a
standard blinker relay, so you have to change the little plug in relay which
looks the same, is cheap, and will work both or any system.

I am playing with Large Chrome-Faced and Stainless Faced round rear LED tail
lamps for my SS RV's. I want the same unaltered look, but with the LED
advantage lamps. I hooked up my 12 battery to the 27 LED lamps on my
Streamline Coach that I am working on, and left them on all night from 9 pm
to 6 am. The coach cranked in the morning as if nothing had been on at all.
I wish I had read the voltage b4 and after, but I forgot.

Don't buy the 1157 or 1156 LED replacement bulbs being marketed. Unlike the
incandescent bulb, LED socketed replacement bulbs will not reflect or rear
project into the reflector. The LED 1156 will make a great bed side reading
light bulb replacement that is brighter and cool, but it's not good for
anything else.

-Eddie-