The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] those flipped axles

After reading about that crab wize trailer someone saw, I started
thinking some more. Dangerous.

I broke a spring two years ago when I hit a big pothole out on Calif Rt
66. Too fast. Dragged the axle back off the spring and grounched the
wheel well. Actually the pin, or the bolt, which holds the spring
together broke, the axle slipped back, and the spring started to come
apart. Bummer.

So, if you take out the axle and put it under the spring, is the top
side of the axle going to have a hole to lock on to the spring bolt?
Wouldn't you have to flip the bolt around as well? That is a job.
Disassembling the spring and bolting it back together. I did that to the
left hand rear spring, while putting a new spring on the right rear.