The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Re: help with flipped axel

Hi Curt,  I have a 1958 SS Clipper double axle rig.
I replaced the rear axle completely with a custom built one (matching  width,
drop, lug pattern, ETC.) with electric brakes.  Then i had both  axles
shifted from springs mounted below the axle to springs mounted on top of  the axles
(everything else staying the same - axle drop, springs, shackles,  etc.)
Can't figure out how any such a move would create a toe in or out unless  the
axle is bent.
I did have the work done at a large trailer manufacturing shop so relied on
their experience and am very happy with overall results and reasonable overall
 costs.
I needed the added under-belly height to accommodate my gray and black  water
tanks mounted in the rear bottom so they wouldn't drag.  I did this  work but
with the help of a trailer repair guy that moonlighted to help  me.
Not sure any of this is of help other than to share.  regards,  jim