The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] new 1958 SS

After persistently trying  since I first saw it  for 4 years ago, I just got
a Silver Streak , serial #3100 first titled in 1957 as a 1958 model.  It is a
17' tiny little thing, only 7 1/2 feet wide.  It was last used in '71 and and
has sat since then, tires and jack stands slowing sinking in to dirt. The skin
is perfect except the front vent has been closed and bunk beds added. It has a
shower, toilet and a 'direct deposit' waste water system. I would really
appreciate any information on the interior, as the bunks are not standard I am
sure and there are some brackets I have never seen before, including one inside
by the door that holds a 4 " piece of  3/4" copper tubing that is used to hold
the door open. The painted rims and tongue appear red as a base, then gold and
finally aluminum. What should they be? The interior is all done in a light green,
but all the doors are stained and varnished
On towing, I just replaced my 2005 Tundra with a 2007  SR-5with the 5.8 L, supposed
to have a 10.800 towing capacity. Both towed  a 29' Airstream effortlessly. I really
wanted tow mirrors and navigation and the backup camera is easy to get used to.
Rick Blacklock