The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak]HINGES

Hello everyone, I am a member of the mailing list, and have been listening to
all the talk about making replacement hinges for the later model S/S's.  I'm
fortunate enough to have a 1961 S/S Jet w/ steel door hinges that are still
going strong and simple enough to make on ones own if need be.My thought is
this, there is a company called Kason that has been making ice box and walk in
refrigerator door hinges for 50+ years, they are quality strap hinges and
latches that some restorers use on the newer refer doors to make them look old
in style.  Craig @ vintage vacations has examples on his site, the 56 S/S he
did has this treatment.  Well, this company makes bigger hinges for much
bigger doors than on the S/S's, w/ varying offsets.  they are chrome and
quality steel that could take the abuse of a walk in refer door as well as a
trailer door, and they have matching smaller hinges that could be used for the
screen door too.  The mounting holes would most likely be different, but that
could be worked around if one were motivated to make it work.Hope it helps,
just some food for thought.  Now I'm off to work on the front half of my floor
and pan replacement of that 61 I mentioned earlier.Have funAJ