The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Re towing

Doni,

I would recommend looking for a 1997 or early 1998 one ton Dodge Quad
Cab Diesel Pickup.  The early 1998's are hard to find as they are the
last of the CTD 12 Valve engines, and the first of the Quad Cabs that
have rear doors.  The 1997 and earlier, require that the front seats
be moved to access the rear seat/storage area.

I have a 1998 Dodge Diesel 1 Ton Quad Cab Dually pickup that has been
well taken care of.  It happens to have a Gear Vendor Overdrive on it,
so my mileage is excellent.  The dually makes for a MUCH SAFER TOW
VEHICLE.  The 12 Valve Dodge diesel is good for 400,000-500,000+ miles
if taken care of.  The only weak point is in the Transmission.  I had
my Torque Converter and Transmission replaced with ATS heavy duty
components.  Considering the low price I paid for the truck (bad
transmission & torque converter) I now have an ideal tow vehicle that
I plan on keeping indefinitely.  I use the truck to tow 6,000 lb.
trailers 2,000 miles per month in my business, as well as use it to
tow a dirt track "Super Stock" and my 1972 26ft. Silver Streak.

I get 15 MPG towing my Silver Streak on the highway @ 60 MPH.
The main secret is to keep the speed to no more that 60-65 MPH.
Mileage drops drastically above 65-70.  In my case, 12 MPH @ 70 MPH.
With my 454 engined GMC, I was getting 7 MPG in similar conditions.

When I tow at 60 MPH and below, I don't engage the "Gear Vendor
Overdrive", so you should be able to obtain the same mileage with a
stock Dodge Diesel truck, 3.55 rear gear, automatic transmission.

Regards,

Ralph

rcooke@bak.rr.com