The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] RE: [Silver Streak] HINGES

I'd like to weigh in on this issue.  We were able to purchase a "new old
stock" set of hinges off of eBay for the low, low (gasp!) price of $450.00,
but we were that desperate as our screen door had come completely
unattached.

I decided to try to have a spare set made and keep the originals as a
pattern.  I shopped around extensively and obtained bids from many foundries
in the Salt Lake City area - I was finally able to find an award-winning
foundry that specializes in restoration metalwork for historic homes, wood
stoves, gates, bronzes, etc. etc. that agreed to try it. Most commercial
foundries wouldn't even talk to me unless I was talking orders of at least
$100,000.00.

The problem is that the original 3-component design of the hinges is
extremely difficult to replicate using the sand mold process that almost all
casters use.  After 5 attempts and 5 prototypes that were "almost" perfect
but had some ridges around the hinge knuckles and very very slight size
discrepancy, the foundry finally said that they could not replicate them
exactly without using an injection molding process.  The originals were made
using an injection mold, which is VERY EXPENSIVE to have "reverse" created
from an example (which I also shopped around for.)

So I guess my whole point is that if you find success, PLEASE let us know,
but we hope our experiences can help you whittle down what needs to happen
for a successful re-creation of these tricky hinges.

-Bryan and Tami Crockett