The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] rotten floors, this weekend's progress

LOL! And I feel we have it easy after seeing the full
restorations done by others - welding axle supports,
adding black and gray water tanks...

Our '66 seems pretty easy compared to them!

It still adds up though.

I figure we started with about $3800 base cost and the
final cost for it fully rehabbed will be between $6K
and $7K -- and oh, about 150-200 hours of hard
labor...
But about half of the hours is just cleaning it
thoroughly inside and out. 42 yrs of grime adds up.
When done, I will probably have spent at least 12 hrs
just on cleaning the kitchen cabinets, sink, and
stove. But each drawer and door had a dark greasy
coating all around the handle area, now the wood
glows!

I think it could be Teak. Does anyone else possibly
have Teak in their SS?

Imagine my dread when I used TSP an spend 20 minutes
cleaning "most" the grime off a paper plate sized area
of the ceiling! (and that still needed another scrub)
And then my joy when Scrubbing Bubbles let me do a
2'x3' space in 10 minutes! :-) ok, some of that may
need a second scrub too, but much less, but still over
6 times the area in 1/2 the time.

I felt like I should have been in a commercial
watching the bubbles suck up that nicotene and tar and
start oozing brown slime down the walls....

Julie