The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Re: Silver Streak Digest V1 #214

I like reading what you guys are doing to your RV's.

We are getting ready to work on ours again but hubby is building a garage
and has little time off so its taken the back seat again. Ours is a 1983
3411 Silver Streak.

He has new axles and brakes on it and mostly new ceiling lights. When he had
the axles out he found one spot on a wheel well that had a hole so repaired
that, he said if it were raining would have kicked water up in there. The
original plumbing had been replaced with plastic at some point and not all
those things you guys are talking about, also the storage tank is not under
the bed, just a direct connect I guess. No cover on the pipes in the
bathrrom so he is going to make a cover for them. The commode had leaked so
the floor was soft there and the trunk floor was pretty much gone.  He took
out the wall carefully and was able to reuse it.  Then shaped and input a
new floor in the trunk and part of the bathroom.  While he was at it he
bought a new commode and put in a new sink also. I painted all the floor I
could reach in under the tub and the floor to help protect it before we
tiled.  Then he tore out the bedroom carpet and lay tile in the bath and up
between the beds. That's as far as we got a few months back.  About all he
has to do in the bath is reset the toilet.

I took a piece of paneling off in the kitchen where the table sits because
moisture had ruined it and wanted to see what was underneath.  Apparently it
was just condensation from the window over the years as the back of the
paneling was fine.  Hubby wasn't thrilled I took it off.  But I told him I
will put it back I think and just get something to overlay it and perhaps on
the 2 sides of the living room on the lower half. I was going to replace it
but I'm thinking an overlay will work fine.  The trailer had flooded in 94
and the lady I bought it from said they had stripped the carpet and things
immediately and I didn't really believe her.  Well she was truthful.  The
wall had insulation in it date stamped 1994, that was good to know. I need
to take photos in case we ever try to sell it. She said that Bob guy was the
one that redid it.  Unfortunately he had passed away just a couple months
before we bought it or I could have found out more. Anyone got any
suggestions on what to do to repair that?  The paneling is ok but pretty
fragile in 2 or 3 places under windows.

We are going to replace the kitchen counter.  The faucet had leaked and made
the pressed wood under the countertop swell  by the window..  It has one of
those processing centers in the countertop and it works but I don't have any
of the parts, think we may remove it.  When we do all that I want to replace
the stove.  It works but the oven doesn't and the control is about $150.  I
said if we are doing to do all this why not replace it to?  Also can you put
a deeper sink in those, I like the deep sink bowls.

The fridge doesn't work very well, we took one out of another trailer that
did work but now it doesn't seem to so I'm suggesting just a regular small
electric fridge I saw at Lowe's it's almost the right size.  We are going to
pull the living room carpet also.  It's in very good condition but very
dirty.  It's a berber and the bedroom piece was full of dirt, I imagine this
is also.  The hot water heater works but he hasn't checked the furnace yet.
He also replaced I think all the gas lines. The AC works very well.  We had
to stay in the trailer off and on after the hurricane as our electric was
off and on.  Our generator ran all the house except the AC but would run the
AC in it too.  We now have 2 generators!!  The electric hitch needs to be
repaired and he has to redo some wiring up there he took off.  We also plan
to have a new awning made, the struts and everything are there.  Where can
that be done? We replaced 2 speakers but the radio statics when we turn it
up and down and one of the speakers still isn't working.

Hubby took loose part of the pan underneath to look at the metal, he was
afraid it might be rusted.  He said it is fine under the trailer and had
been painted at one time.  I imagine that was done after it was flooded.  He
said no rust under there, that was sure good to know.
Still a lot to do but in our opinion a fine old solid RV.  I will have to do
some additional cleanup

Sounds like a long list but hubby says it won't take him that long to do the
stuff just getting to it.  I mean we could set the commode and clean it up
and use it like it is but don't intend to.

Now do any of you know if there is an ocean front RV park around Galveston?
We hope to get a reservation for a space somewhere down there for the
summer?  Any ideas?

We bought this one to rent out but hubby has decided its to nice and we are
going to keep it for ourselves.  I need to look around and pick up 4 more of
them for RV lots we intend to rent.  Busy, busy, busy

Carolyn