The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] name plates

Hello all,
A while back there was a discussion on this list from folks with
missing name plates needing replacements and I remember people had some
good suggestions. However, I have a different problem regarding the
name plate. We have both front and back name plates (for our 1964
Sabre) and they are in good enough shape to keep using, but they are
cracked in a couple of places and the red paint is almost completely
gone. The rubbery-plastic material has sun damage and is rough.

Does anyone have any suggestions for whether I should try to glue the
pieces back together and, if so, with what? And does anyone have
thoughts on what type of paint will best adhere to this surface and be
very long wearing? Finally, does anyone think that putting some type of
clear coating over the whole thing would be a good idea; and, if so,
any suggestions as to what might work and not turn yellow or damage the
already fragile plastic?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.
Amy Craddock