The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] ss polishing

Is the "gold" dyed anodizing? It looks like it on my '79. I can't see any
evidence of it being painted on.
If the dye was not UV proof it will fade. Also some air pollution can
bleach the dye.
The reason the anodized aluminum is not shiny is that the sheet metal was
not polished before anodizing. It is plain mill finish, which is the
finish on the rolls that squeezed the aluminum into a sheet.

Are you any relation to the Dupree of Dupree products, maker of the sewer
dump valves formerly Owens Products (on my '79)?

There is no such thing as "natural" aluminum surface from moments after
polishing or cutting. The oxygen in the air immediately forms a thin
coating of aluminum oxide (carborundum) over the bare aluminum. Aluminum
is extremely reactive. It is only that the oxide is very nonreactive that
makes aluminum so durable against corrosion. Unfortuantely the AlOx is
microscopically porous, which allows moisture and, worse, air pollutant
chemicals, to attack the aluminum underneath. Anodization makes a much
thicker coating of AlOx than will form naturally, so it protects better
than the natural coating. It also will absorb dye, making it easy to
color anodized aluminum.
Al Grayson