The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] RE: Silver Streak Digest V1 #33 -RV storage

You have to do what you have to. For many the cost of a shelter, or local
codes, precludes a shed or garage. But just as with automobiles, RVs will
stay in better condition longer if they are under a roof, better,
enclosed, and even better, enclosed in a heated garage. By "heated" I
don't mean 72 degrees, I mean kept a few degrees warmer than the outdoor
temperature, and above freezing.
My '79 SS was used for about 5 years, then kept in heated indoor storage
for 19 years. It has some drying-out of the exterior rubber seals but
looks near new.
In the last 8 months since we have been using it, it has been out of
doors all the time. I can see the deterioration already.
It's not leakage of rain. It's the sweating from temperature and humidity
changes. An aluminum box is just going to have a lot of condensation if
it's kept outdoors.
I now have a dehumidifier on all the time. Its tank fills up in a couple
of days when rain is around. The rest of the time it fills only very
slowly.
Al