The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] ss polishing

Hey Gang:

I have been reading and observing all the comments about removing the
anodizing on the SS rigs.Having owned a "76" airstream for 12 years, dealing
with the chipping, pealing and dull clear coat, I have been so pleased with my
Mod. 3411 Supreme 1985 Silver Streak  which I have had 4 years, I would never
even consider removing the anodizing.

To see natural aluminum, in any construction use is very unusual. Building,
frames, window frames, boat accessories etc. are all anodized as it is the
toughest coating found. Powder coating of steel does not even come close.
Guess the .next toughest coating material is fiber glass gel coat , but it too
oxidizes without care.

But to those of us that have chosen the classic Silver Streaks, I just cannot
fathom the removal of the anodizing.

The gold on some mid "70's" models was produced with bad primer and material
and is very faded to non existent.

Now to cleaning, ie: polishing; I have tried several formulas, from MEK and
liquid car wax  and silicon mixture, WD-40, Transmission fluid all which
produce a temporary luster.

I keep going back to a formula that was given to me by the folks at Hill Top
Rv in Red Oak Texas (Dallas Area). They were a SS dealer for over 50 years and
most SS's sold in and around Texas came from Hill Top. The wife and son's of
the original owner still operate the dealership of course no SS's !!!.

The formula is simple and will last several months. It both cleans and
provides the luster. It still requires, elbow grease but not hard buffing
,cuts most black streaks , tar, mold etc.

I am careful to stay away from the vinyl although it does not seem to affect
it.

The Formula: 5 parts lacquer thinner and one part olive oil.  Do not use this
on a clear coat airstream!!!!!!!!

The lacquer cleaner cleans and the very fine film of olive oil seems to
penetrate the anodized alum. It does not seem to catch the dust like WD-40.

Tom  has our rig posted on his site under "Dupree Coach"

Hope this helps. Just try the formula on a panel and see the results and how
long it last. I do try and wash my rig monthly with a good Rv/Car soap, just
to get the road grime off.

Sorry for such long message but perhaps it will help.

Happy Trails

Jim  & Dot Dupree