VACList DigestVACList-Digest       Sunday, October 13, 2002      Issue 454

Today's Topics:

        1. brakes
        2. Re: Winterizing Again
        3. Re: Winterizing Again
        4. Kansas
        5. Re: Winterizing Again
        6. Re: Kansas and Bisbee, AZ
        7. Re: Winterizing Again
        8. Re: Kansas
        9. winterizing again
       10. Re: winterizing again
       11. Re: winterizing again
       12. Re: Winterizing Again
       13. Re: winterizing again
       14. Re: brakes
       15. Carlisle Hydrastar actuator
       16. Re: winterizing again
       17. drapes
       18. Re: Kansas and Bisbee, AZ
       19. Re: Winterizing Again
       20. Re: Winterizing Again
       21. bugbear
       22. Re: Winterizing Again
       23. 120v.  lines in kitch

Message Number: 1
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:16:57 -0400
From: "David Turner" <jdturner@xxxxxxxxxx.net>
Subject: brakes

Were electric brakes issued on '58 model airstreams?
Thanks

Airstreams For Sale: http://photos.yahoo.com/vintageairstreams

David Turner
1105 Hancock Drive
Americus, GA 31709
Home Ph. 229-924-8488
Office Ph. 229-937-2567
Office Fx. 229-937-5691
Airstream Web site: =
http://www.shockoestudios.com/tractor/library/airstream/airstream.htm
Pedal Tractor Web site: http://www.shockoestudios.com/tractor.htm

Email: jdturner@xxxxxxxxxx.net

------------------------------

Message Number: 2
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:17:05 -0400
From: Jim Dunmyer <jdunmyer@xxxxxxxxxx.com>
Subject: Re: Winterizing Again

Phil,
  I use the "drain and blow" method of winterizing:

Drain the freshwater tank
Remove the shower hose & head.
Open a faucet and run the pump until dry (you'll hear the pitch change)
Drain the water heater....
WHILE THE HEATER IS DRAINING, open the faucets, one at a time, hot,
cold, hot, cold. The slight vacuum created by the heater draining tends
to such the water out of the lines. Leave the faucets open long enough
for this to happen.
Open low-point drains if you have 'em.
Blow compressed air into the city water inlet using one of those blowout
plugs. I usually have a helper do this, hitting the Schrader valve with
short bursts of air so as to not over-pressure the system.
While he's putting the air to it, I open the faucets again, one at a
time, hot, cold, hot, cold. It might be nice to have the drain plug in
the water heater during this operation.
Run the pump again to make SURE that it's dry.
As Terry said, "wet air" is OK, water is not.
Pour a pint of RV anti-freeze in each trap. Pour just a bit in the
toilet to keep the seal moist.
It's recommended that you lube the waste tank valves with a silicone
spray or something to keep them from sticking, but I usually just leave
'em open.
Leave all faucets and drains open.

This procedure takes maybe 20-30 minutes, leaves no taste in the water
system next Spring, and will definitely prevent freeze damage if done
correctly.

Also, see http://www.phrannie.org/storeRV.html

                                  <<Jim>>

Phil Renner wrote:

> All right, since you brought it up. This is my first winter with my
> Overlander. I did have it last winter, but the tanks and burst lines had
> long since dried up from sitting the past 10 years.
>
> Aside from introducing anti-freeze into the system, is there a trustworthy
> way to merely drain the system completely?
>
> Phil Renner
> Guilford, CT
> 63 Overlander

                        <<http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer>>