Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:45:01 -0700
From: "Richard        McFarland" <estatewagons@xxxxxxxxxx.att.net>
Subject: California Gold?

> Message Number: 2
> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 08:16:29 -0400
> From: "Rick Langer" <farreach@xxxxxxxxxx.net>
> Subject: RV Documentary Series
>
> I got a message from Amazon about a book by Phil Noyes based on a PBS
series
> ,"California Gold; A History of the RV in America". It is suppose to air
in
> the Spring of 2002. Has anyone heard of it or seen it on tv?
> Rick Langer
> '66 GlobeTrotter
> #3847,VAC,TCT

Rick - I can direct you to "some" information - but I can't answer your
specific question completely.

There is a new book scheduled to come out this year titled "A History of the
RV in America" - that's been highlighted on Amazon - they sent me that ad
this spring.
That book is by Bryan Burkhart/Phil Noyes/Allison Arieff.
The book appears to not be published yet for retail customers - that I am
aware of - so I do not know if there is a connection with PBS and/or
California Gold.
You may be thinking of two separate things?
Huell Howser is a well known personality on KCET (PBS) in Los Angeles.
He covers California from A to Z - following stories of interest for his
viewers.
If you go to www.kcet.org and go to the bottom of their first page - and
then use the KCET QUICK LINKS search - you'll find "California's Gold"
listed.
Once there you will find a wide range of information on the various show
"catagories" that Huell Howser covers.
There are various archives (by show catagory) and you can go back and look
at all the shows he's put together over the years.
I did not find a show with all the specific points you listed in your
message - but I did notice that they mention in their "Help Us Find Gold"
area - that they are working on a RV segment -
Back in 1998 Huell did a segment on Teardrop Trailers - it's show #609 and
you'll find it under the "Visiting" catagory.  I have that tape - and no
sooner had I watched it...a friend of mine said to me "hey" I just saw a
teardrop in a backyard that belongs to a friend...and it's a bit unusual as
it's so large...and he drove me over...and there was an unusual teardrop
(with a pop-top back porch patio area) that I'd just seen for the first time
in the video...small world.
I hope that helps.  RL

------------------------------

Message Number: 2
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:51:20 -0500
From: Dick and Kris Parins <dkparins@ez-net.com>
Subject: Floor tar removal

Cindy wrote:

> I'm taking on the floor...but the local advice I've found says leave the old
> floor in place because of the nasty black tar adhesive that penetrates any
> other flooring I'd put over it.
> So, I see that many of you have redone your flooring.  What did you use to
> remove the black stuff after you got the tiles up?
> Also...if using vinyl would you use tiles or roll...and what would you use
> to hold the edges down?

I used a heat gun like you would use for scraping paint and a stiff putty
knife size scraper.  Use lots of heat and you should be able to pick up
everything including the bottom layer of pinky grey adhesive underneath the
tarry stuff.  Shari Davis has pictures at her website:

http://www.insideout-design.net/maxwell/

Click on "during" and then "flooring".

Choice of flooring is kind of a matter of personal preference.  Many people
use tiles to replicate the original look.  At least one guy cut them down to
9 x 9 to get the original size.  My wife and I like Armstrong Marmorette
sheet linoleum for its retro look.  Shari Davis used this as well.  She used
silver,  we'll use either yellow or red.  I also like the idea of no seams.

As far as edging. I'm hoping I can do a good enough job on the installation
that I won't need any.  most of the edges will be under the shower, refer or
threshold trim or under the gauchos so if I can do a good job on about 6
feet I think it will look good.  I have removed the closet wall for the work
on the floor and will trim the bottom of that with a small (1/4 X 3/4) piece
of hardwood stained to match the wall.  This originally had a piece of
plastic cove which is really shabby looking after 40 years.

Good luck on the tar removal.

Dick
'62 Bambi

------------------------------

Message Number: 3
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:13:37 -0400
From: Chris Elliott <celliott@xxxxxxxxxx.com>
Subject: Re: loor repair

Hi everyone ,
   I`m sure this has been discussed before , however since some of you have
recently done it , maybe the techniques have been refined . I have drilled out
the thousand rivets and removed the inside panels and have gained access to
replace my rotted rear floor . The rot isnt as bad as some ,only 6 inches back
except on the streetside ,there its back 18 '',but not on edge under channel ..
My question is , would I be better off structurally to replace back to the first
seam  ( 4' ) or just replace the bad place and use a butt block underneath and
epoxy some glass over seam on top . If I do the whole 4 ' sheet , can I push it
in thru the outside ,after removing the trim strip and belly pan ?. Will the
skin sag if I take out all the floor back 4' , before I can get new piece in ?
It would give me more room to weld in new cross piece in rear , which needs it
and to paint top of frame further back . Rest of floor is good ,so I`m not up
for frame off . Like to have it done for next international !
   I also note the lack of quality in construction re : legged out bows , bows
which never reached floor , the upper floor channel is just cut to form bend -
in short the floor and skin is 99% of the structure . Will be posting some pics
somewhere soon for those of you who have never seen your stream from the inside
out . Not much left in mine now .
Thanks
Chris 63 flying cloud -

------------------------------

Message Number: 4
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:48:31 -0400
From: "tmeeker" <tmeeker@xxxxxxxxxx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Floor tar removal

Fantastic site!

Thanks for posting the URL.

Tom

> > I'm taking on the floor...but the local advice I've found says leave the
old
> > floor in place because of the nasty black tar adhesive that penetrates
any
> > other flooring I'd put over it.
> > So, I see that many of you have redone your flooring.  What did you use
> > remove the black stuff after you got the tiles up?
> > Also...if using vinyl would you use tiles or roll...and what would you
use
> > to hold the edges down?
>
> I used a heat gun like you would use for scraping paint and a stiff putty
> knife size scraper.  Use lots of heat and you should be able to pick up
> everything including the bottom layer of pinky grey adhesive underneath
the
> tarry stuff.  Shari Davis has pictures at her website:
>
> http://www.insideout-design.net/maxwell/
>
> Click on "during" and then "flooring".
>
> Choice of flooring is kind of a matter of personal preference.  Many
people
> use tiles to replicate the original look.  At least one guy cut them down
> 9 x 9 to get the original size.  My wife and I like Armstrong Marmorette
> sheet linoleum for its retro look.  Shari Davis used this as well.  She
used
> silver,  we'll use either yellow or red.  I also like the idea of no
seams.

> As far as edging. I'm hoping I can do a good enough job on the
installation
> that I won't need any.  most of the edges will be under the shower, refer
or
> threshold trim or under the gauchos so if I can do a good job on about 6
> feet I think it will look good.  I have removed the closet wall for the
work
> on the floor and will trim the bottom of that with a small (1/4 X 3/4)
piece
> of hardwood stained to match the wall.  This originally had a piece of
> plastic cove which is really shabby looking after 40 years.
>
> Good luck on the tar removal.
>
> Dick
> '62 Bambi
>

> To unsubscribe or change to a daily Digest format, please go to
> http://airstream.net/vaclist/listoffice.html
>
> When replying to a message, please delete all unnecessary original text

------------------------------

Message Number: 5
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:31:46 EDT
From: Inlandrv@xxxxxxxxxx.com
Subject: Re: Do I want a gray wat drain tank for the kitchen sink in a 59 Travel...

Cindy. Gray water must "NEVER" be fed into a black tank. To do so, allows the
black stuff to get into the gray line or lines. Not a pleasant mess.

Andy

------------------------------

Message Number: 6
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:33:08 EDT
From: Inlandrv@xxxxxxxxxx.com
Subject: Re: edging needed for vinyl flooring?

Cindy. A heavy bodied, colored sealer can be used, not any form of silicone
sealer.
Andy
inlandrv.com

------------------------------

Message Number: 7
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:18:14 -0600
From: "Airstream" <airstream@insideout-design.net>

Thanks guys!  I have followed the discussion here regarding the flooring the
last couple of days...but not had time to post.  I'm afraid I did the floor
removal the hard way...elbow grease!  I understand some folks have used
JASCO adhesive remover to help soften up the adhesive "stuff" and it seemed
to help make it abit easier, I don't know I didn't use it.  As far as trim,
we are installing a 3/8"x3/4" oak shoe stained to match the cabinets.  Even
though the edges are minimal, I've "lived with it" a couple of months &
decided I wanted a more finished look, so I'm actually working on that now.
I'll add pictures to our website after I finish it...probablly next week.
The only way I figure to avoid the edges showing would be to take out all
the cabinets & go wall-to-wall and we didn't want to go that far.  Anyway,
good luck...post if you discover an easier method!

Shari Davis
"Maxwell"
WBCCI 1824, VAC

------------------------------

Message Number: 8
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:38:47 -0500
From: John Anderson <janderson@xxxxxxxxxx.net>
Subject: Table laminate surface renewal

Well, I am ready to do something about the faded plastic laminate (Formica?) on
the dining table in my 1966 Sovereign.  The original woodgrain is still visible,
but quite faded and discolored.  I do not think it is a stain of any kind; just
sun exposure mostly.  After checking with shops in my area that build countertops,
I am resolved to make this a do-it-myself project. (I just cannot see paying $300
++ to resurface this little fold-down table).  So, if anyone has tackled this
project, my questions are: how best to remove the old laminate?  Chemicals?
Prying?  Sanding? Or, is it possible the old surface can be restored by polishing,
without obliterating the (fake) wood grain?  Any advice will be much appreciated!

John Anderson