[VAL] Re: [Val] 50's dump valve information needed

Dr. J,

> In the manual for 1968, it suggests gray and black water go to a gopher
> hole, where permitted. The gopher hole is bigger than Iowa gophers dig,
> 18" diameter 40" deep. Then its recommended an "Airstream gopher hole
> cover" go over that chasm and the trailer be parked so the drainage
> falls straight to the gopher hole.

Some of the veteran Airstreamers in our unit fondly(?) remember the days
when gopher hole decoration judging was a rally event.  The story is
that you dug the hole, covered it with the gopher hole cover, then piled
the dirt from the hole around the cover to seal it, to some extent,
against odors.  Typical gopher hole cover decorations included toy
excavating equipment, flowers, plants, etc.

> Something close to the wax ring used for domestic toilet connections? Or
> th original Dow Corning DC-4 silicone grease?

I looked up my supply out in the barn.  It is Nordstrom 386, see for
example http://www.valvesealant.com/.  It is a petroleum-based grease,
closer to the wax gasket than DC-4 in consistency and about the same
light brown color.  "Suitable for dry or wet gas, water works, and
sewage services" according to the data sheet.

Ah, DC-4.  I still have what's left of a tube of it I bought in the
60's. (Long shelf life!)  I got it for the inside of the distributor cap
of my 1967 Opel, which (until I applied the DC-4) absolutely would not
start on a foggy, dewy morning.  It solved the problem.  Nowadays any
auto parts store has the equivalent stuff.

See you down the road,
John & Barb Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587
1960 Pacer