Re: [VAL] Air conditioner for 1963 Safari Twin

    All,

    I'd like to make a little suggestion here for those gaining access to
their air conditioner drain hose and barb.  For that matter, this would
apply to any difficult or impossible barb in their Airstream.

Rather than use an Ideal type automotive hose clamp, I suggest using a
Swedish made clamp known as an ABA brand clamps.

    These clamps differ greatly from the ones we've all grown up with.

    0  The threads and thread cuts are at more of a right angle to the
strap, thereby virtually eliminating the tendency of them to loosen from
vibration as Ideal types do.

    0  The edges of the straps are fluted to prevent cutting the hose.  As
well, the cuts in the strap don't go all the way through, eliminating the
chance of the screw threads cutting the hose.

    0  All parts of the clamps including the screw and screw assembly are
made from 316 stainless steel.

    They're slightly pricier than the other style but for an application
that might be closed up forever, the few pennies more spent are well worth
the cost.

    If you tap out looking for a usual source for them, any West Marine
store carries them.  Even easier for those of you far from a West Marine,
you can order from them on line at http://www.westmarine.com.

    Here's the direct link to them:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/
295783/377%20710/0/hose%20clamp/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/20/0
?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=hose%20clamp&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallp
artial&Nao=20&Ns=0&keyword=hose%20clamp&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdept
Num=145&classNum=0

    I have no affiliation with ABA or West Marine, I just know they work and
over the years I have replaced them on our sailboat with only a few still
left to change out due to lack of access.

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel #508
    Santa Monica, CA